The Palau railway line is part of the Sassari-Nulvi-Tempio-Palau route. It is a tourist train service offered by the \'Trenino Verde\', active during the summer or on reservation, run by the Ferrovie di Sardegna. The station is within Palau, a town situated in one of the most scenic ramifications of the northeast coast of Sardinia, facing the island of Maddalena. The country is characterized by artistically shaped shores, unique in the world. Obligatory embarkation for the islands of the Maddalena archipelago, the country owes its fortune to the narrow-gauge railway, of which the station is an integral part. Life revolves around the piers and moorings of the marina.
At Tortolì station there is a stop of the “Trenino Verde” coming from Cagliari / Mandas / Sadali and arriving to Arbatax. Although not recently built, it is still well maintained. The railway network is narrow-gauge. Situated in the heart of Ogliastra, the town of Tortolì, which shares with Lanusei the role of the provincial capital, lies in a vast plain stretching out to the sea. The interest for the land is given both by the numerous historical-artistic testimonies and by the natural wonders, in particular its very special coasts. Among the most beautiful beaches we can remember Basaùra, Cea and Lido di Orrì, with their fine and white sands. Among the many historical testimonies that surround the territory of Tortoli, the Nuragic complex of S\'Ortali ‘e Su Monti is remembered, on the plain behind Orrì beach. The complex includes a nuraghe with an anthemural and attached village, unfortunately in poor condition, a tomb of giants, three menhirs and a second wall. Noteworthy are also the coastal towers. In 1995, the Museum of Contemporary Art \"On logu de s\'iscultura\" was opened, where sculpture interacts with nature in a direct relationship between the individual and the work of art.
It is the main road of Gonnosfanadiga, a village that rises on the eastern slopes of Monte Linas, known for its olive oil. In its territory, one of the best oils in Sardinia is produced and sold. You can also visit several churches of rare beauty, such as Santa Barbara, Sant\'Elia, Sant\'Efisio, Sacro Cuore and the recent church of the Beata Vergine di Lourdes. Also in the territory of Gonnosfanadiga you can visit the former mine of Perd\'e Pibara.
The Bridge on the Rio Campuomu, at the 31 km of state road 125, also called the Orientale Sarda, is included in a non-compromised environmen, visibly anthropised. The bridge fits harmoniously into the natural environment, thanks to the presence of pink granites and oleanders surrounding the structure. The whole territory is covered by Mediterranean scrub.
The Bridge on Flumendosa links two municipalities and two provinces, respectively Seulo and Gadoni, and Cagliari and Nuoro. The bridge, built over one of the most important rivers in Sardinia, was built just a few kilometers from the village, in a valley full of holm oaks, roverelle, cork and Mediterranean scrubs. Gadoni is a small mining center located on the southern edge of Barbabia di Belvì. Remarkable are the imposing limestone rocks which in turn stands on sandstone bases with fresh and crystalline water springs. Flumendosa itself creates scenic scenery with lakes, small waterfalls, woods and gorges.
The railway bridge where the Siliqua-Calasetta line passes is embedded in a evocative environment where the Mediterranean scrub offers a natural scenic background. The town of Siliqua extends in a flat area in the valley of Cixerri, a river of southern Sardinia about 40 km long. Among the monuments of great archaeological interest spread across the territory, we find the tomb of the giants called \"Sa Domu e S\'Orku\", an imposing nuragic burial ground, \"Sa Perda Fitta\" also known as \"Su Cuaddu de Sa Mongia\" or \"Perda Managus\" and numerous nuraghes. The remains of an aqueduct from Siliqua to Cagliari and a necropolis emerging near the village dates back to roman era. In the territory of Siliqua are the remains of the castle of Acquafredda, better known as the castle of Ugolino of Gherardesca, Count of Donoratico. From an environmental point of view, along the road to Giba, you can admire the impressive panorama offered by the lake and the dam of Bau Pressiu.
The imposing dam of Santa Chiara was built between 1918 and 1924: it can be considered a true monument of industrial archeology, particularly important because it made possible the formation of Lake Omodeo, the largest artificial reservoir in Europe. Thanks to the hydroelectric power plant, which was built downstream of the dam, Ulà Tirso was the first country in Sardinia to enjoy the avaiability of electricity. Ulà Tirso is a small agricultural center located on a large valley washed by the Tirso River and overlooking the left bank of Lake Omodeo. The village lies at the foot of a natural trachy amphitheater and its unique geographical location allows you to admire a fascinating and wild landscape. Its territory has been inhabited since prehistoric times, as proved by numerous archaeological evidence dating from the Neolithic period, although the historical period that left the most marks was that of Roman domination. Of particular attention is worth the parish church of Sant\'Andrea, the church of Santa Croce and the one of Santa Chiara.
SPORT FACILITIES AND AREAS
On Mount Arci, rich in basalt rocks and crags, free climbing have been practiced for years, in a natural and uncontaminated environment. The Mount Arci Park is under construction, with an area of about 13,500 Ha. This area falls administratively in the communes of Ales, Marrubiu, Masullas, Morgongiori, Palmas Arborea, Pau, Santa Giusta, Siris, Usellus, Villaurbana and Villaverde. The peculiarity of the territory consists of the presence of important volcanic and mineral formations and rocks such as obsidian. Mount Arci has been home to prehistoric forms of stone harvesting and production of stone utensils and has a lush and Mediterranean forest, evolved in various areas. The area includes wild boars, foxes, wild cats, martyrs, weasels, and was once populated by deers (now repopulating). Rich birdlife: colombs, ghiandaies, crows, cornacles, numerous fringillids; Among the birds of prey, the pilgrim falcon, the sparrow, the goshawk, the kestrel, the grilled hawk. Mount Arci, for the aspects associated with the extraction of obsidian, declared by the UNESCO International Heritage, constitutes the area 1 of the Geominerary Park of Sardinia.
The Tanka Golf Club is an 18-hole grass field, placed in a position from which you can admire the beautiful Sea of Villasimius. It is nearly 5.5 kilometers long and you can access it directly from the resort. The opening is seasonal, from May to October. The attractions in the surrounding area are countless.
The Puntaldia Golf Club, with a spectacular sea view, was built on a land immersed in the Mediterranean scrub. The Club, open from May to October, is equipped with all kind of amenities and a 9-hole course long about 3.5 km. The coast around the club is rich in rocky coves and beaches. The village of San Teodoro is now known to be one of the most sought after destinations in Sardinia. It offers tourists a wealth of services ranging from innumerable hotel facilities to beach fun and hiking in the interior. A walk in the center of the village, where you can visit the churches of Sant\'Andrea and Sant\'Antonio, is higly suggested. The village is also renowned for its nightlife and the presence of the largest and more exclusive discos on the northwest coast of Sardinia.
The Ortacesus swimming pool, surrounded by a beautiful green meadow, is placed in a typical Mediterranean environment. The property is equipped with all the amenities, like an indoor pool (25X10) and an outdoor one (60X21 / 2000 sqm), plus a children one. The original outdoor pool is inspired by the beach, with umbrellas and with the depth of the water rising as you move away from the shore. A soccer field and a refreshment area are also part of the sports facilities.
The Chilivani Racecourse was born as a socio-sporting and cultural institution in 1876, when the Deposito Stalloni for Sardinia was founded in Ozieri. In the stallion store of Ozieri, the Anglo-Arabian-Sardinian horse was selected and today 1,600 fattes are fertilized. The true racecourse dates back to 1921. Equipped with all the most modern services, it hosts every year the most important horse racing competitions in Sardinia. The runway, ring shaped, has a development of 1,460 meters, a maximum width of 30 meters and a minimum of 26. The grandstand has 1,200 seats. It is located on a small plain just a short distance from Ozieri, a town full of monuments and archaeological value. Also worth mentioning is the unique museum of material culture, \'La Taverna dell\'Aquila\', and the Civic Archaeological Museum. Ozieri is renowned for the handicraft production of sweets, including the well-known sighs of almond paste, and the typical, flat local bread.
The Parco dei Suoni, designed by architects Perra and Loche, is located in the abandoned sandstone quarries of Su Cuccuru Mannu. It is born for music related events, exploiting the particular conformation of the space. The village of Riola Sardo lies on the left bank of the river Rio Foghe. Around the country there are wetlands of naturalistic interest, while in the coastal stretch of the sea is the cliff of Roia de Cantaru. The territory is dotted with nuraghi: there are the monuments of Oresimbula, Priogu, Biancu and Zuaddas. Inside the village there is, of historical and cultural interest, the parish church of San Martino, dating to the sixteenth century but of more ancient foundation.
Il vasto e interessante complesso – che sorge in un'area compresa tra lo stagno di Molentargius e la spiaggia del Poetto – era utilizzato per la raccolta del sale già da Punici e Romani e poi, nell'XI secolo, dai monaci vittorini. L'attività estrattiva, continuata nel corso dei secoli con le "corvées" degli abitanti dei paesi limitrofi e il lavoro dei forzati, fu interrotta nel 1985 a causa dell'inquinamento dell'area chiamata ‘Bellarosa Minore’. La sistemazione attuale risale principalmente agli anni intorno al 1930, quando su iniziativa del Monopolio di Stato si attivò un complesso intervento attuato dal direttore delle Saline che disegnò sia i luoghi del lavoro, sia le residenze per i dipendenti. Un’importante costruzione è la chiesa del Sacro Nome di Maria (1934), in forme neomedievali, seguita dalla palazzina della direzione, con richiami neogotici. In prossimità della cabina elettrica realizzata in mattoni rossi, come tutte le altre costruzioni, si apre un viale alberato, con una doppia fila di "Ficus retusa", che conduce alla zona residenziale: una piazza interna dove sorgono le palazzine con motivi decorativi Liberty. Si trovano ancora l'officina delle locomotive usate per il trasporto del sale, e, superato il ponte, il Dopolavoro dei salinieri (1932), trasformato in Teatro nel 1991. I locali del dopolavoro sono divenuti gli ambienti di servizio del teatro ed ospitano, tra l’altro, una Biblioteca dello Spettacolo a disposizione del pubblico. Proseguendo lungo il canale di via della Palma, sulla destra sono visibili gli impianti sussidiari alla lavorazione del sale e la palazzina dei sali scelti, sede del Consorzio del parco naturale regionale Molentargius-Saline, destinato a gestire la vasta zona umida, e gli edifici dismessi della lavorazione del bromo e dei sali potassici, ormai esempi di archeologia industriale. Nel 1977 la zona umida circostante fu inserita tra i siti riconosciuti dalla Convenzione di Ramsar come habitat ideale per l'avifauna. Come arrivare Le saline sono in prossimità del centro abitato, nella periferia est, a poca distanza dalla spiaggia del Poetto.
Il paese sorge in una zona particolarmente colpita da fenomeni alluvionali dove il terreno ha ceduto più volte, rendendo le case insicure e malsane. Dopo l’alluvione del 1951, gli abitanti hanno iniziato ad abbandonare il piccolo centro, ormai totalmente disabitato da più di 45 anni. Il nuovo paese è stato costruito in una zona sicura e al riparo da smottamenti e frane. La zona è ricca di una fauna assai varia e di attrattive naturali come la punta di "Perda 'e liana" e "Taccu isara", la grotta di "Sa rutta 'e su marmu" e quella di "Sa rutta 'e is ossus". Come arrivare Partendo da Tortolì si prende la SS 198 in direzione di Lanusei. Superato il centro abitato si prosegue per Gairo Vecchia seguendo le indicazioni.
Nell’area, affacciata su una delle più belle zone costiere della Sardegna, sono presenti solo pochi edifici. Dalla cava si estraeva granito e la sua lavorazione ha a lungo costituito una delle più importanti fonti di reddito degli abitanti di Villasimius. L’attività fu avviata nella seconda metà dell’Ottocento da una coppia di fratelli originari della Toscana, in seguito subentrò la Ditta Usai dai primi anni del Novecento sino alla chiusura negli anni Cinquanta. Il granito estratto dagli scalpellini, semilavorato in loco, è stato utilizzato nella realizzazione di grandi opere pubbliche. Come arrivare Partendo da Cagliari si percorre il Viale Poetto sino alla rotatoria per il Margine Rosso/Villasimius. Si svolta a destra lungo la litoranea che porta direttamente all’innesto con la SP 17, dopo aver percorso circa 25 km. Da lì si prosegue lungo la costa in direzione di Villsimius. Si attraversa il paese e si seguono le indicazioni per la Cava.