Palau is situated in one of the most scenographics ramificationof the north-west coast, in front of Maddalena Island. The village distinguish itself for its beautiful shores. Life revolve around the docks of the tourist port. The name find its origin from the word “Parago”, then “Parao”, the safest places in the coast as they were called in the XIV century. The promontory was known since the times of the Greek geographer Tolomeo, who nicknamed the site in his maps “Arcti Promontorio”. Some of the most fascinating location to visit are: the promontory of Capo d’Orso, culminating in a huge rock sculpted by the wind, resemblid a plantigrado; Punta Sardegna, with a fantastic view, even though the continue edification is changing it; the array of Monte Altura, characterised by its beautiful beaches and its small town centre.
The historic centre of Tempio Pausania is characterized by a classic architecture of buildings in granite blocks. Built in proximity to the mount Limbara, it offers a natural landscape rich of ponds and springs. Renowned for its thermal baths and extraction of granite and cork. Every year the Carrasciali Timpiesu, the local carnival celebration, takes place, attracting many tourists. For six days, King George is honoured and adulated, until Mardi Gras, when the King, guilty of everything, is burned in public. Another carnivalesque traditions are Lu Palu of the Frisgjola.
Sardara is situated in the middle of the Campidano’s plain. The importance of this village in time is given by it’s churches. Noteworthy are S. Anastasia Church (XV century), near a nuragic spring, Beata Vergine Assunta Church (between XIV and XV century), with a pipe organ dated 1758, and S. Gregorio Church. Religious celebrations of great interest are: S. Antonio in june, Assunta in august, S. Gregorio in september, S. Anastasia in november and, the more important, S. Maria de Is Aquas, the penultimate mondau of september. Close to Sardara can be found the ruins of old thermal baths.
At 503 meters above sea level, Santu Lussurgiu is one of the most characteristical mountain centre in the province of Oristano. The village is surrounded by thick woods in a land full of springs. Regarding the fauna, it hosts a lot of species in risk of extinction, such as griffons, peregrine hawk, mouflon, sardinian deer and sardinian hare. The historic centre shows characteristical roads and small squares. Santu Lussurgiu offers many sparks for an interesting life: the Museum of Peasant Technoligy inside an old manor house, the Santa Maria degli Angeli Church, and during carnival the road in front of the museum, called “Sa Carrela ‘e Nanti”, hosts an horseride pariglia of horses guided by man on costume. In the district of San Leonardo di Siete Fuentes one can find the namesake Church, tied to the order of Ospedalieri di San Giovanni and to the old hospital of San Leonardo di Sette Fontane. Of impressive fascination is the Holy Week, involving the four confraternities of the village, and the performances: on Tuesday “Su Nazarenu”, on Thursday “S’Iscavamentu” and on Friday “S’Iscravamentu”, accompanied by poems knowns since the XV century.
Sanluri is placed between Cagliari and Oristano, and as of today is, with Villacidro, country seat of Medio Campidano. Thanks to his location, it always covered a strategic role in communications, and in the XIV century it became an important fort of Giudicato di Arborea. The castle “of Eleonora d’Arborea”, built in between the XIII and XIV century is, without any doubt, the most important monument, as well as the only medieval habitable castle in Sardinia, hosting the museum “Duca d’Aosta” in his halls.
A small center just a few kilometers from Cagliari, called, for its artistic characterization, Country Museum. The territory is flat and flanked by Flumini Mannu and Flumineddu. The center is known for the art of the murals that adorn the streets of the country in great numbers, frescoed by local artists with the help of the people of the country, an authentic jewel of everyday life and the repropos of traditions. Living heritage of tradition and sansperatine art is the fascinating stone sculptures of local artist Pinuccio Sciola, known all over the world. Also worth mentioning is the festival of the patron saint, organized in mid-July, during which is worn the traditional clothing typical of the Campidano area, and the festival of peaches. During the festival the country is animated by cultural and folklore performances and shows, houses and communal and cultural buildings are opened and used as unusual exhibition spaces for local artworks and typical products. To get there start from Cagliari, take the SS 131 for about 14 km. Turn right onto the overpass and continue on SP 6 which leads directly to San Sperate.
Orani is approximately 526 meters high in the heart of Barbagia. There are about thirty nuraghs and various tombs of giants in its territory. The country has an irregular shape, horseshoe, on a green conch surrounded by hills. The palaces, churches and buildings occupying the historic center of the country seem to confirm a history of some importance, with luxury homes inhabited by noble families in the past. One of the most characteristic monuments in the country is the parish church of Sant\'Andrea Apostolo. Among the other religious buildings of the country must be remembered the small church of Nostra Signora d’Itria. On the facade, Costantino Nivola performed in 1959 a graffiti decoration depicting the Mediterranean Dea Mater. The most important attraction of the village is the museum dedicated to Constantine Nivola (Orani 1911 - East Hampton 1988), a world famous sculptor, active between Europe and the United States. It is set within the ancient washroom of the village, restored to the purpose, on the side of a hill from which you can enjoy a beautiful view. Of the events of Orani, the most traditional is the feast of Nostra Signora di Gonare, which is held on March 25, the last Sunday of May, and the 8th of September. The party is preceded by the novena, which involves a large number of people reaching the shrine on foot, walking along ancient paths. Every year, in October, the \"Cortes Apertas\" event, which includes the opening of the ancient courtyards and churches, the discovery of trades and traditions with the performance of the Oranese mask \"Su Bundu\", the protagonist of the carnival. To get there, start from Nuoro, take the SS 131 towards Abbasanta / Oristano / Sassari. After about 13 km, turn left for Orani.
Ancient palaces, landscaped squares, a stunning landscape background. Lanusei, capital of the province of Ogliastra with Tortolì, is located in eastern Sardinia on the rivers between Mount Gennargentu and the coast between the green of the hinterland and the blue of the sea. It covers a beautiful location, framed by natural beauty and cultural-tourist sites within easy reach. The town develops around the diocese seat, the cathedral of Santa Maria Maddalena, dating back to 1860 but of the 17th century foundation. Of great interest is also the Diocesan Museum of Ogliastra, located in the premises of the Bishop\'s Seminary on Via Roma. Along the streets of the city, amongst elegant 19th-century palaces, it is not unusual to find commemorative plaques dedicated to illustrious people who reside there. Among them, the plate dedicated to the family of the composer of the Italian national anthem, Goffredo Mameli. To the west of the village lie lush lacus and chestnut woods, with the beautiful Selene forest where an archaeological complex is located, including a Nuraghic village with giant huts and tombs. In just minutes you can reach the Genzargentu Mountains, Lake Villanova, the Ulassai Caves and the \"Heels\" of Ulassai and Jerzu, in addition to the ogliastrian beaches. In the nearby mountains of Armidda there is, among other things, an Astronomical Observatory. Lanusei is situated on the east coast, reachable from Tortolì along the SS 198, about 18 km away.
The city of Carbonia dates back to 1938, built in just two years in order to secure accommodation for the workers of the nearby Sirai-Serbariu coal basin. The name of the center was clearly inspired by the main business activity. Currently, the city of Carbonia shares with the city of Iglesias the role of capital of the new province of Carbonia-Iglesias. The urban layout is typical of the \'\' foundation \'\' cities, with wide tree-lined streets marking the viability of a center set according to hierarchical criteria: in the heart of the city is the Square Rome, around which the S. Ponziano Church rises (with the bell tower reproducing a smaller replica of that of Aquileia), the Town Hall, Central Cinema, Dopolavoro and the Tower of Littoria; Around this nucleus, the home of the director of the mine (Villa Sulcis, now the home of the Archaeological Museum), of the executives and, on the periphery, those of the employees and finally of the workers. On a hill just a few kilometers from Carbonia stands the important archaeological site of Monte Sirai, home to a well-preserved Phoenician-Punic urban center, from which you can enjoy a wide panorama of the entire Gulf of Palmas. At the Sirri village there is a shelter under the rock of Su Carropu, where the oldest finds of the Sardinian Neolithic were found. At the entrance to the city, near the SS 126, is the Great Mine of Serbariu, a coal mining site recently recovered to be repurposed as a museum. Today it hosts the Carbon Museum, which includes a visit to the underground tunnel and a permanent exhibition on the history of Carbonia and the mine.
Castelsardo is one of the most picturesque towns in Sardinia, mainly because of its old town, perched on a promontory overlooking the sea. A defensive fortress built by the Genoese in the XIV century, remained a strategic point of control of the surrounding territory and the maritime routes that passed through Sardinia. This is a location currently reachable by car, with hostels and B&B in its surroundings.